Thursday, February 2, 2017

Never Too Late! ‘16 Graduate Amanda Kim Shares her JCFP Experience

It’s never too late to start paving the path to your career. Amanda Kim became a Jaggar Community Fellow the summer that she graduated from Adelphi. She interned at The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, which led to the Research Technician position she currently holds at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

Kim says that the Jaggar Community Fellows Program (JCFP) was unique in providing her, and other graduate students like her, with internship opportunities. Interning helped Kim “further gain professionalism and confidence to enter the working field.”

Her unique position as a graduate intern also had unique advantages. “My undergraduate and graduate experience in research at Adelphi University helped me walk into the internship confident in my abilities to grasp and learn new techniques,” she says. “ I was able to bring...a certain level of experience.”

JCFP was also able to provide Kim with new insights to her future career. “After my internship opportunity at the Feinstein Institute, I realized that medical research was something I wanted to pursue,” she says. Her experience at The Feinstein Institute also “made me a great candidate for various research positions, which led me to my current position.”


Kim also shared some of her advice for students considering to apply for JCFP. “Try everything,” she says. “The more you put yourself out there and the more opportunities you expose yourself to, the more successful you will be. JCFP offered me a crucial experience that ultimately helped get me where I am today.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: Your comment will be sent to our staff for moderation due to an increase of spam posts. If you have an important question for our Career Center, please visit http://career-center.adelphi.edu/about/contact/